MFCA ARCHIVE
March 2007
 
3/30/07
DRYER FIRE IN HISTORIC HOME

Ardmore assisted Gladwyne today at "Linden Hill", #1543 Monk Road with a working fire. Linden Hill was once the home to Cambell Soup Chairman John Dorrance. A street line was dropped and the fire was quickly handled with an 1 3/4" handline. Belmont Hills assisted with FAST Team & Narberth responded with an extra engine.
 
   
 
3/24/07
ASSISTANCE ON THE PIKE

A full company from the Merion Fire Company assisted Bryn Mawr Saturday night with a working dentist office fire in a large 2 story commercial building at 780 West Lancaster Ave. The fire was quickly controlled and companies remained on location dealing with extensive overhaul & smoke removal. The Air unit from Gladwyne assisted and filled 27 air bottles.
 
 
 
2/5/07
UNDERGROUND ELECTRICAL FIRE

Last evening, Station 25 assisted by a full company from Bryn Mawr (Sta. 23) were dispatched to 14 Rittenhouse Place for an underground electrical fire. Command was established, PECO responded and handled their end immediately. The emergency contacts were notified and entry was made to 5 stores. A smoke condition was found with extremely high levels of carbon monoxide on all three floors of Rittenhouse Electric Supply. Firefighters remained on location for about an hour venting the building.
   
 
3/19/07
ICE STORM

Merion Fire Company responded to several calls this weekend during the ice storm. Chief Tom Hayden would like to thank all the firefighters who stepped up to handle the calls, put on the chains, clear the ramp, and man the station both day and night. The quick response time is imperative to the people of the community.
   
 
3/8/07
BEST IN SHOW

Whew! I'm going to have to sharpen my elbows. It's crowded in there. It's a mellow crowd but a crowded crowd, especially around the stage behind the castle. That's where Ragus is performing, a troupe of traditional Irish dancers and musicians. They're young and handsome, full of energy and dressed in black sequined costumes. Very lively and the crowd is loving it.

One thing I was able to see before the people tsunami nearly swept me away was the Mens Garden Club of Philadelphia's "Best in Show" award in the nonacademic educational category. I talked with some of the guys last week as they put this exhibit together - a snapshot of a typical Irish village they named Ballygael. They built a woolen shop, a jewelry store and a pub they named Tommy's Pub.

There is a sad backstory to all this. The pub was named for Tommy Hays, Jr., a young man with many interests who died in his bed in December of causes yet to be determined. Tommy was a volunteer firefighter in Narberth, as well as a junior member of the men's garden club. His dad, Tom Sr., was a founding member of the club.

One of Tommy's roommates, Owen Marshall, came by to see how the pub was progressing on his day off last week. He told me Tommy was a great guy, "kind of a goof ball but someone who always helped me out when I needed it." He was 25 when he died. The two friends became volunteer firefighters together when they were seniors in high school.

Owen says he misses his buddy. "We're all brothers down there at the fire house," he said. Check out the firefighter helmet in the pub, which looks so authentic I almost sat down and ordered a pint. - From the Philadelphia Inquirer

 
 
3/6/07
HURRICANE KATRINA COMMENDATION

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore and the Ardmore community were recently awarded commendations from the State of Mississippi for their aid in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Spearheaded by Ardmore’s Fire Chief, Tom Hayden, the project was initiated to supply the depleted Powers Volunteer Fire Company with used gear and equipment. As word spread about the severe conditions in Mississippi, a collection was started that gathered items such as flashlights, manual can openers, food, water and other such supplies. Through the generosity of the Ardmore Firefighters, their Chief, Ardmore Rotary and the community, enough supplies were collected to fill an 18-wheeler which then traveled down to Laurel, Mississippi.

During the Christmas season of 2005 the giving campaign continued by providing the Jones County, MS children with over 1,000 gifts from “Santa”.

On February 9, 2007 the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore and the Ardmore community were awarded two commendations from the Governor of Mississippi, Haley Barbour. In Governor Barbour’s letter to the fire company he stated, “I was touched by your willingness and readiness to help our state and its citizens, I am forever grateful for both the equipment and assistance you and the people of Ardmore offered to help our South Mississippi residents, Again, I appreciate your strength, selflessness, and charitable spirit, On behalf of the State of Mississippi and the citizens of Jones County, I thank you”.

 
     
 
3/6/07
CAR FIRE

Last night at 11:30 the Merion Fire Company was dispatched to Super Fresh in Wynnwood for a car fire.
 
   
 
3/1/07
TOASTER OVEN FIRE

While investigating a fire alarm last night in a 3 story commercial building at 339 West Lancaster Ave, Deputy Chief Powers and crew had a smoke condition in a 3rd floor office. After making entry they discovered a melted plastic bowl with sugar on top of a toaster oven. The situation was quickly handled.
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
  11/8/17
MCDONALDS FRYER FIRE

> read more
  11/7/17
ELEVATOR RESCUE

> read more
  11/2/17
MAPLECREST CIRCLE

> read more
  11/2/17
TRASH CAN FIRE

> read more
  10/30/17
16 LANCASTER AVE

> read more
  10/24/17
DUMPSTER FIRE

> read more
> View all of this month's articles > Visit the archive
 
 
 
   
 
  Being part of a community means supporting the men and women who protect
our families, homes and
businesses 24-7.
 
 
feed1
feed2
feed3
feed4
feed5