August 2011
Rosemont Attic Fire

On Tuesday August 30th, around 6:00 p.m., Station 25 was dispatched to assist Station 23 (Bryn Mawr) on a possible attic fire at 1236 Wendover Road in the Villanova section of Lower Merion. First arriving units found a working attic fire which was quickly handled by the crew of Ladder 23 and Engine 25. A significant amount of overhaul was required and Station 25 cleared the scene in about an hour.

View VideoVideo courtesy of Mainline Media News

Building Smoke Investigation

The Merion Fire Company assisted by station 23 investigated smoke coming from the buildings on East Spring Ave this morning. Companies were in service for about 20 minutes.
Natural Gas Leak

The Merion Fire Company responded to a founded natural gas leak in the 200 block of Ardmore Ave at 19:00 hours on Sunday. Area was checked and turned over to PECO.
Hurricane Irene

In preperation for Hurricane Irene, members of the Merion Fire Company staffed the fire station from 6:00 p.m. on Saturday night until approximatly noon on Sunday morning. During the storm, crews maned all four pieces of appartus and answered fourteen calls ranging from a substantial electrical fire in a shopping center to downed trees into a building. Crews were treated to two full meals at the firehouse by Chief/Chef Hayden. It was a long 18 hours for all members.
Ladder 25 cover assignment

The Merion Fire Company Of Ardmore responded to a cover up assignment at the Radnor Fire Company with LADDER 25 shortly after 3:00AM. Ladder 25 was called to the scene of the Chillies restaurant fire and assisted with overhaul. Ladder 25 went available at 9:30 AM.
Back to back calls

Merion firefighters were called 108 School House Lane in Ardmore for an odor of smoke in the building. While investigating a malfunctioning refrigerator, information was received for a gas odor 5 properties away. Ardmore firefighters handled both calls and were available in 30 minutes.
Elevator Rescue

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore handled an elevator rescue at the Lower Merion Township building at noon time on Monday. Two township employees were stuck in the elevator for about 15 minutes until firefighters arrived.
Haverford Basement Fire

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore assisted by the Bryn Mawr Fire Company responded to a home at 60 Booth Lane in Haverford at 10:00 AM on Sunday for a report of smoke in the basement and a fire alarm. First arriving firefighters were met with a medium smoke condition in the basement. Command was established, and a hand line was advanced. Firefighters found a fire behind a wall in the wall of the finished basement and extingished it.

Station 25 Full Company
Station 23 Full Company
Engine & Air 24
FAST team from Station 21
313 Ambulance
YMCA Attic Smoke

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore responded to the YMCA located at 100 St Georges Road for a report of smoke in the building. Firefighters found a motor in the attic area that was smoking. The Narberth Fire Company assisted. Firefighters were on scene for 30 minutes.
Thunderstorm Calls

Ardmore firefighters handled several calls during a fast moving evening thunderstorm.
One of those calls was an elevator rescue of a women and child at the Montgomery Plaza Apartments on Montgomery Ave.
Smoke in Building

Ardmore firefighters assisted by the Bryn Mawr Fire Company handled smoke in the building from the roof AC unit this morning at 10 East Lancaster Ave in Ardmore. Companies were in service for about 30 minutes.
Annual Phillies Trip

Members were fortunate to have a cool summer evening to enjoy their Phillies take on the Arizona Diamonbacks. Eartlier in the game the D-backs took a one to nothing lead. However a two run homer in the fith gave the Phil's a 2-1 edge. Lyle Overbay lined a two-RBI double off Roy Halladay in the ninth inning to lift the Diamondbacks to a 3-2 win over the Philadelphia Phillies.
Underground Electrical Fire

The Merion Fire Company was called to the Suburban Square shopping Center for an underground electrical fire in the sidewalk in front of a store located at 42 ST Georges Road. A transformer blew several times causing electrical problems in many stores. Firefighters checked elevators, electrical equipment, basements & handled one fire alarm. The company was in service for over 90 minutes.
Ardmore Crossing Assist

The Merion Fire Company assisted by Bryn Mawr Fire Company responded to a report of a building fire on the 3rd floor at the Ardmore Crossing Apartments located at 225 Cobblestone Drive in Ardmore. Firefighters found unattended cooking in an apartment on the 3rd floor. Firefighters vented the smoke condition and were back in service in 30 minutes.

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore assisted the Narberth Fire Company at 236 Forrest Ave at 1:00Am on Firday morning.
First arriving units were met with an active fire on the first floor of a single family dwelling.
The fire was quickly knocked down while a primary and secondary search achieved.
There were no injuries.

Station 26 full company
Station 28
FAST engine 25
Squad 22
Station 313

Firefighters douse flames in Narberth home |
> Click here to view
National Night Out
The "28th Annual National Night Out" (NNO), a unique crime/drug prevention event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW) was held on Tuesday, August 2nd. Last year's National Night Out campaign involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, businesses, neighborhood organizations and local officials from over 15,000 communities from all 50 states, U.S. Territories, Canadian cities and military bases worldwide. In all, over 37 million people participated in National Night Out 2010.

NATIONAL NIGHT OUT is designed to:
Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more
> View all of this month's articles > Visit the archive
  Being part of a community means supporting the men and women who protect
our families, homes and
businesses 24-7.