December 2011

Odor of Smoke in Building

Ardmore firefighters assisted by Bryn Mawr were called to the Sunrise Assisted Living facility in HAverford for an odor of smoke in the building on New Years even morning.

Xmas Morning Call

Merion of Ardmore handled a smoke from cooking call at the Ardmore House Apartments on Christmas Morning.

In Memory: Robert J. Dolan 1945-2011

Robert J. Dolan of Philadelphia and formerly of Haverford and Ardmore passed away Thursday morning December 22, 2011 at his home.

Born November 27, 1945 to Eleanor Thomson and John A Dolan. Bob graduated St. Denis Grade School, class of 1958, Malvern Preparatory School class of 1963 and attended Villanova University. He served in the U.S. Air Force on Active Duty 1966-1970, serving two Tours in Korea as a Crash/Rescue Firefighter; Crew Chief, and Rank Staff Sergeant.

After his active duty he served in the U.S. Air Force Reserves until he retired in 1986. Bob owned and operated Dolan's Appliances in Ardmore for many years. He was currently Vice President and Manager of Kieffers Appliances in Wayne.

Following in his Father's footsteps Bob joined the Merion Fire Cmpany of Ardmore in 1967. He is a Life Fire Brigade Member, served on the Board of Managers, 1979 - 2006 and was President 1982 to 1984. He also served as a Firefighter with the Philadelphia Reserve Fireforce in the 1970's.

He is survived by his wife Christin H. Green.

Relatives and friends are invited to his viewing 9:30 until 10:45 A.M. Tuesday, December 27 at Stretch Funeral Home, 236 E. Eagle Rd., Havertown, Pa Followed by Services at 11:00 a.m. Inurnment will follow in St. Denis Cemetery across the street.

In lieu of flowers, donations in Memory of Bob Dolan may be made to: Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore, 35 Greenfield Avenue, Ardmore, PA 19003

MFCA Christmas Party

On Sunday December 18th, Santa Clause stopped by the Merion Fire Company for the annual Chirstmas Party for the children of the Company members. The Jolly Old Elf distributed gifts to all the kids and wished the adults a Merry Chistmas was off to the North Pole to make his final preparations for Christmas Eve.


Sign on Fire

Ardmore firefighters quickly handle a sign on fire in the shopping center at 33 East Wynnewood Road.

> View video & Full Story

5th floor Condominium Fire

At approximately 10:50 p.m. on Monday the 12th of December, PennWynne-Overbrook Hills Fire Company (Station 21) were dispatched to a fire alarm at the Green Hill Condominiums on City Avenue. Engine 21 arrived on location and was informed that there was a fire in a unit on the 5th floor.

The call was immediately upgraded and Engine 25 was dispatched on the first alarm as the third engine. Within minutes of the dispatch, all of Station 25 was dispatched as the second alarm assignment, because of the fire conditions and the number of people living within the building.

Crews from Station 25 were put to work immediately upon their arrival assisting civilians on the floors above the fire and checking for fire extension on the 6th floor, in the unit above the fire. Crews were in service for approximately and hour.

Good Job to the crew of Engine 21 who were able to rescue the fire unit occupants and get them to safety.

>Click here for link on full story.


Car Rams Ardmore House

Police and fire crews were on the scene at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday in Ardmore, where a vehicle rammed into the front room of a home on the 100 block of Holland Avenue, near Haverford College.

For complete story click here.

For video click here.

Photos courtesy of Ardmore-Merion-Wynnewood Patch

Building Fumes

Merion Firefighters and the Fire Marshal were called to investigate fumes in the building at 119 East Montgomery Ave in Ardmore. The company was in service for 30 minutes.

Post Office Air Odor

Ardmore firefighters responded to a report of an odor in the Wynnewood Post Office shortly after 09:30 am on Wednesday morning. Firefighters did an investigation and tested the air with meters.

Foam Equipment Training

On Monday the 20th of November, the Merion Fire Company went to the Lower Merion Training Grounds to conduct training with the company's foam equipment. Members drilled with the 2.5" foam inductors and foam nozzles originally purchased many years ago with the old foam truck. Members used approximately 100 gallons of foam concentrate and were able to get good hands on training with the foam, the inductors and the the nozzles.

The Merion Fire Company is only fire company in Montgomery county with 2.5" foam equipment. The Merion Fire Company has approximately 120 gallons of foam concentrate on hand in the station for use in a flammable liquids fire.


Accident with injuries

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore and Narberth Ambulance were called to Glenn & St Georges Roads in Ardmore shortly before 8:00PM to assist with a serious accident with injuries. Firefighters were on scene for over 90 minutes.


Carbon Monoxide alarm

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore respond to a residence on St Georges Road in Ardmore for a report of a fire alarm.
First in firefighters were met with levels of carbon monoxide at the front door of the home. Firefighters shut down the heating systems, called PECO,
ventilated the house and had the homeowners checked for exposure. The Company was in service for an hour.


> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more
> View all of this month's articles > Visit the archive
  Being part of a community means supporting the men and women who protect
our families, homes and
businesses 24-7.