January 2012

Haverford College Dorm

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore along with Ladder 23 was dispatched to a dorm building on the Haverford College campus shortly after noon today. First arriving firefighters were met by security in the front of the building stating they had very high levels of carbon monoxide and there was up to eleven people who live in the building.

Command was established, the full commercial building response was transmitted along with two ambulances. A primary search was quickly underway on all floors followed by a meticulous secondary search. Crews entered the basement where it was determined that a gas engine had been running earlier by contractors.

No one was found in the building. The building was ventilated and all units were back in service in one hour.

> Main Line Media News link

Bedroom Fire

The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore assisted by the Penn Wynne Fire Company responded to 212 Linwood Ave in Ardmore at 5:44 AM this morning for a report of a house fire. First arriving firefighters quickly controlled a bedroom fire on the second floor.

The Narberth Fire Company, Narberth Ambulance, Union Fire Association & and Air/ Light unit from the Gladwyne Fire Company also responded in case they were needed. All companies were back in service with in 90 minutes.

MFCA honored by Bryant Heating and Cooling Company

On Thursday January 26th the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore was honored by Bryant Heating and Cooling Company through their True Heros Program for a water rescue they performed on September 8th 2011 in the 400 Bloock of Mill Creek Road. Bryant, their distributer Pierce-Phelps and local Bryant dealer, Bob Cerminano presented the award to the company at a well attended 9:00 a.m. ceremony, which was followed by a reception in the evening to honor the indviduals who were involved in the rescue.

The Merion Fire Company would like to thank Bryant, Pierce-Phelps and Bob Cerminano, as well as the local business community for all of their support.

> Read Ardmore Patch article "Ardmore Firefighters Honored for Life-Saving Heroism"
> Read Ardmore Patch article "Ardmore Firefighters: A Daring Rescue on a Dark and Stormy Night"

Fire Safety and Prevention Class

On Tuesday January 24th The Merion Fire Company of Ardmore conducted a fire safety and prevention class for approximatly 50 AuPairs from Cultural Care Au Pairs. All of the students are foreign nationals living and working on the Main Line. The Au Pairs live with families, assist in child care and house work and are able to attend school while they are in the country. The Au Pairs learned about home fire safety and experienced moving through a smoke filled hallway on the second floor of the fire house.

This is the third year that the fire company was able to host this group.

Working House Fire Assist

The Merion Fire Company assists Gladwyne at a working house fire.
At approximatly 11:30 p.m. Thursday January 19th, the Gladwyne Fire Company was dispatched for a buidling fire on Youngsford Circle in Gladwyne. Based on the information given by the County, Gladwyne requrested that that second company be dispatched, bringing the Merion Fire Company to the scene. Crews found fire spreading up an outside wall of a very large two and half story house. Quick work by crews kept the fire from extending to the attic and throughout the house.

The Merion Fire Company was back in service in about an hour and a half.

113 Cricket Ave

The Merion Fire Company assisted by the Bryn Mawr Fire Company responded to 113 Cricket Ave for a report of smoke in the apartment building. A smokey pot on the stove an the 2nd floor was quickly handled by firefighters.

Argyle Road Wall Fire

Members of the Merion Fire Company of Ardmore assisted by the Narberth Fire Company responded to 229 Argyle Road this afternoon at 1:45 PM for a fire in the wall on the second floor of a home. The fire was quickly controlled by firefighters. There were no injuries


Congratulations to Tony Van Dyke who was elected 1st Assistant Chief by the MFCA Fire Brigade.


> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more

> read more
> View all of this month's articles > Visit the archive
  Being part of a community means supporting the men and women who protect
our families, homes and
businesses 24-7.